It has come time to say goodbye to an old Capitol Hill resident: The DS Barry. Originally the USS Barry, the ship was brought to the Washington Navy Yard in 1983 and had its prefix changed to Display Ship – DS. Built in Bath, Maine, she was the third ship destroyer named after Commodore John Barry (pic), who distinguished himself during the Revolutionary War. The Barry was launched in 1955 and served in the Mediterranean Sea, as well as later during the Vietnam War. Her most famous encounter came during the Cuban Missile Crisis, when she followed a Soviet ship and took pictures of its deck cargo.
After decommissioning in 1982, the Barry was transferred to the Washington Navy Yard, where she became a fixture on the Anacostia River, easily visible to those crossing over the 11th Street Bridge. However, constant contact with water has made her upkeep unmanageable, and the new construction of the Frederick Douglass Memorial Bridge will not allow the exit of any ships; therefore, it was time to say farewell. A few pictures from her history and her final removal below. (also to be recommended: JDLand‘s pictures, especially this one.
By Robert Pohl No Comments Views