It really is 2021– halfway through the first month, no less. I know we’re all busy with the National Guard taking over our neighborhood and all the fencing, but it’s my unpleasant duty to remind you that there is a pandemic still raging. Two days ago, we learned that the more virulent COVID variant is in Anne Arundel county (WUSA-9). This is the time to double up on masks, wash your hands more frequently, and not let your guard down.
So, what’s fun that we can do mostly from home?
Okay– this one is not quite from home, but it’s really exciting and very safe. The C.A.T. Walk Boutique, formerly at 1000 H Street NE, has relocated to a suite at The Yard, 700 Pennsylvania Avenue SE. You can still see all the great finds Carolyn has on her Instagram, but now you’ll be meeting her to try things on in the heart of the Hill by sending her a DM. Congratulations, Carolyn!
Another not-from-home but very socially distant item? Let’s spend this Martin Luther King, Jr. day cleaning up the Hill! Show up at 10 a.m. on Monday, January 18, to Eastern Market Plaza, 800 Pennsylvania Avenue (so, the north side of the street, where the playground is) and bring trash bags, disposable gloves and trash grabbers, if you have them. Mark Sussman (whose idea this is) and I will be happy to say hello and meet those of you who decide to come by.
Want to participate in a day of service but don’t want to/can’t meet up with people? Understandable! Pick up trash in your own corner of the Hill and show us! Tag #CleanTheHill on social media and we’ll reshare as many of your photos as the algorithm sees fit to show me!
How about Inauguration Day specials, I hear you all clamor? Well, aren’t you in luck, because I have several deals for you:
- The Roost, 1400 Pennsylvania Avenue SE, has a huge line-up guaranteed to make you happy (and they deliver, so you can stay at home). State Fair has a Biden Cone Bundle, as well as the Biden Burder, the Kamala Sundae Kit and several amazing-sounding cocktails. They’re even carrying a special edition Bluejacket beer called #46. Go make your pre-orders at theroost.menu. Excited for you.
- Fight Club has some amazing-sounding deals as well, like the The Biden’s Bobbie, loaded with turkey, sausage stuffing, potato mayo and cranberry sauce on a hoagie roll, it’s basically Joe Biden in a roll: American comfort food for the soul. I also dig how The VP Melt sounds because I LOVE tuna salad. With spicy chips and a hard-boiled egg, it sounds like a hard-hitting, sassy brassy sandwich. Order here.
- Ice Cream Jubilee is doing an ice cream flight with their special inauguration flavors like Kamala’s Cardamom Amaretto and the Cuppa Joe. Order here.
- Valor Brewpub also has all manner of drink specials and growlers of beer for just $30, plus $10 Inauguration pizza kits (toppings are extra). To order, email email@example.com or call (202) 547-8459.
- DC-based delivery service DC To-Go-Go is now serving Capitol Hill. You can order food from The Eastern, Mr. Henry’s, Cafe Berlin and Barrel directly through them. Learn more here and download the app!
Now that you have celebratory grub, how about listening to a very special storytime from the DC Public Library? On MLK day, tune in at 11:30 for a reading of Child of the Civil Rights Movement, by the author herself, Paula Young Shelton? The link to watch is here.
By the way, don’t forget to text INAUG2021 to 888-777 so you can get updates from the 59th Inauguration team.
Celebrate painter Clementine Hunter‘s birthday with the National Museum of Women in the Arts. On Tuesday, January 19, tune in for a virtual happy hour starting at 5:30 p.m. The event is free but RSVP is required– you can do it here.
CHAW has been having a monthly mini concert and artist takeover series. This month, violinist Freya Creech will perform on January 22. Learn more over at her website.
Mr. Henry’s always has great concerts. Today, you can catch Maija and Chris Stiles at 6 p.m. Click here to order food from them and to go to their Facebook live.
Put it on the calendar: A Tour of Her Own is teaching a course based on the FX miniseries Mrs. America, on the Equal Rights Amendment and the history of feminism. It looks really interesting. Starts February 11 and you can get $50 off your registration with code WOMENLEAD. Learn more and register here.