Construction happens, and the folks from DDOT periodically share updates about their new or ongoing projects so you can plan around it:
- D Street NE, between 5th Street NE and 7th Street NE
In addition to the sidewalk restoration, the DC Government recently announced an open for the Benning Bridge Streetcar extension. More information can be found here:
The District Department of Transportation (DDOT) invites the public to participate in an open house on Thursday, February 20, 2020, for the Benning Road Reconstruction and Streetcar Project. As part of the ongoing Benning Road and Bridges Transportation Improvements Environmental Assessment (EA), DDOT has initiated this preliminary design project to advance the development of EA Build Alternative 2, aimed at improving the Benning Road corridor to safely and efficiently accommodate all modes of transportation. The project also will study potential modifications of the DC-295 and Benning Road interchange. At the open house, DDOT staff will provide an update on the project, present the DC-295 and Benning Road interchange preferred options, and receive public input.
The Project seeks to provide better transit connections along approximately two miles of Benning Road NE from Oklahoma Avenue NE to East Capitol Street. The project will address infrastructure improvements and deficiencies identified in the study area, including:
- Extending streetcar transit service to the Benning Road Metrorail station on a center-running alignment
- Enhancing safety and operations along the corridor and at key intersections
- Improving transportation infrastructure conditions
- Rehabilitating roadways and bridges that cross the Anacostia River, DC-295, and CSX freight rail tracks
- Enhancing and installing pedestrian and bicycle facilities
What: Benning Road Reconstruction and Streetcar Project Open House #2
When: Thursday, February 20, 2020 | 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Where: River Terrace Education Campus
405 Anacostia Ave NE
Washington, DC 20019