Hey, it’s slightly off-Hill and, frankly, altogether not in DC. But if you’re a fan of the Polar Bear Plunge, you’re furloughed, and you want to raise awareness for the Chesapeake Climate Action Network, this sounds like a potentially fun way to spend part of your Saturday. Honestly I’m freezing just thinking about it. Just make sure you come right back to the beach to warm up and stay cozy, ok? You get down with your crazy selves, furloughed employees. I’ve heard that if you rub your skin with Crisco, you lose less heat. Yay?
From a press release:
WHAT: 14th Annual “Keep Winter Cold” Polar Bear Plunge. The event will create a wintry spectacle of sights and sounds for media, with lively costumes, brief speeches, and the excitement of over 200 people of all ages running through a wintry landscape into the ice-cold river. Find more info at www.keepwintercold.org.
WHEN: Saturday, January 26, 2019, 10:30am – noon
- 11am: Brief program with speeches
- 11:20am – 11:40am: Participants prep and plunge into the Potomac River
WHERE: The Beach at National Harbor, Oxon Hill, Maryland
U.S. Representative Jennifer Wexton (D-VA-10)
- Maryland State Delegate Lorig Charkoudian (D-20)
- Mike Tidwell, Executive Director of the Chesapeake Climate Action Network
- Rev. Lennox Yearwood Jr., President and CEO of the Hip Hop Caucus
- Gary Skulnik, Neighborhood Sun
- Alexandra DySard, Environmental and Partnership Manager, MOM’s Organic Market
- Miranda Dotson & Hannah Klaus, Senior Members of Fossil Free AU
SPONSORS: MOM’s Organic Market, Neighborhood Sun, McLoone’s Pier House, Earth Treks Hampden, RenewComm