To the rest of the country, Flag Day may be just another day (“…when *is* Flag Day anyway?” you may be asking). Maybe it’s the day you dust off your bunting and get creative for the Fourth of July. Here in DC, we go big and proud for the day and you can be a part of it. Ready? Let’s have Ward 6 Councilmember Charles Allen get you pumped about celebrating June 14.
It’s time to defend our title.
June 14th is DC Flag Day. You may recall that last time around, Ward 6 won “Best Ward” in the friendly inter-ward competition for civic pride and love of our DC flag. Well, the other wards are gunning for us and the challenge has been issued.
So we need to defend our title!
Over the next several days, I need you to help rally friends, family and neighbors to post their best DC flag photo on June 14th (or even in the run up to the 14th). Remember, you can be creative with the photo. Sure, it can be a great picture of you holding the beautiful DC flag. But you can also post pictures of artwork, photography, chalk art, tattoos, or anything else where the two bars and three stars are proudly displayed.
To make it easy, here’s a step by step guide:
1) Take a great picture with the DC flag included.
2) Post on social media, especially Twitter and Facebook.
3) Use BOTH of the following tags: #DCFlagDay and #Ward6. The way they tally the winner is by counting the number of times each ward’s tag is used– so you must include #Ward6.
Let me know if you have any questions and thanks for helping defend our title! I’ve put some other categories below. Remember, you can enter more than one category. For example, you could be a business and by tagging #Ward6, you’re helping compete in both categories (Best Business and Best Ward). Basically, put #Ward6 in all of your Ward 6 pictures!
Here are the other award categories and information:
Awards will be given for the following categories (remember, all photos need to incorporate the DC flag!):
- Best Ward- Given to the Councilmember with the highest volume of individual photo tweets with their Ward’s hashtag (#Ward1, #Ward7, etc. along with the #DCFlagDay hashtag)
- Best Group- Given to the community group with the best group photo with DC Flag
- Best Elected Official- Given to the elected official with the dopest and most compelling photo
- Best Agency- Given to the DC Government Agency (Feds, you can try too but my guess is y’all are out) with the best photo
- Best Business- Given to the business with the best photo promoting the DC Flag and its business
- Artistic Expression- Given to the person/group with the most artistic photo
- Best Pet- Given to the pet (owner) with the most cute, quirky, or compelling photo of a non-human living thing
- Best Friend in a State- Given to the person/group from one of the 50 states with the best photo imploring their Representative/Senators to support DC Statehood. We’d love to have folks in CA, CT, NM, ME, OR, RI, MN, IL, and VA as part of this effort!
- Best Hands Off DC- Given to the person/group with the best photo symbolizing the effort to keep Congress’ Hands Off DC. Please use the #HandsOffDC & #DCFlagDay hashtags for these posts.
- Best Statehood Shot- Given to the person/group with the best photo symbolic of the fight for statehood
How to submit photos
Submit as many photos as you’d like. Just make sure they incorporate the DC flag!
You can submit photos in two ways:
- Email (before June 14): Send photos to unitedforstatehood@gmail.
com by 11:59pm on June 13, and let us know which category/ies you’re competing for so we can post them for you on Twitter and share them on our webpage. Additionally, please share details about the group/people that took the photos (names, etc). The more information the better. By emailing us, you give us permission to post the photo publicly.
- Social media (on Flag Day – June 14th): Post your photo(s) on social media with the #DCFlagDay hashtag.