It’s 29 days until election day and most of you have probably made up your minds about whom you will vote in the general election. However, when it comes to local elections, most people have no idea how their District, Ward or advisory neighborhood commissions are divided or affect them. Local outlets such as Greater Greater Washington do a good job of bringing hyperlocal politics news, and reasons why you should run for these nonpartisan offices. OpenANC allows you to learn more about your own single-member district, so you know the names of the people in the race. As is now a tradition, The Hill is Home is publishing candidate statements in the order in which we’ve received them, so you know a little more about the people running and don’t go into the voting booth (or mail-in ballot) blind. –Maria Helena Carey
Statement by Alex Lopez, ANC 6E02
In October 2018, I was hit by a car at 5th and Rhode Island NW. Frustrated with a lack of action from our ANC to fight for safer streets, I convinced ANC 6E to let me launch a Transportation Committee.
As Chair of the Transportation Committee, I work hard to (1) enable the ANC to proactively address transportation issues in our neighborhood, (2) improve ANC responsiveness to constituent concerns, and (3) increase community involvement in the ANC decision-making process. My accomplishments include:
- Shepherding dozens of traffic safety issues from constituent concerns to ANC action;
- Leading cross-ANC and cross-Ward efforts calling for safer streets on Florida Avenue and North Capitol Street; and
- Championing a K Street NW protected bike lane design that preserves commercial pick-up/drop-off and provides full protection for vulnerable road users.
- While I’m still fighting for a crosswalk at 5th and Rhode Island, I am ready to elevate my service by representing my neighbors as ANC Commissioner for 6E02.
My campaign priorities are to:
- Build a safe, equitable, and sustainable transportation network;
- Support more affordable and market rate housing;
- Ensure an equitable ReOpen DC;
- Champion community safety through alternatives to policing; and
- Improve ANC transparency and efficiency.
My most important qualifications for ANC Commissioner are that I am accessible, knowledgeable, responsive, and (above all) I listen. I am prepared to give residents a voice in the ANC be the Commissioner our neighborhood deserves.