It’s 52 days until election day and most of you have probably made up your minds about whom you will vote in the general election. However, when it comes to local elections, most people have no idea how their District, Ward or advisory neighborhood commissions are divided or affect them. Local outlets such as Greater Greater Washington do a good job of bringing hyperlocal politics news, and reasons why you should run for these nonpartisan offices. OpenANC allows you to learn more about your own single-member district, so you know the names of the people in the race. As is now a tradition, The Hill is Home is publishing candidate statements in the order in which we’ve received them, so you know a little more about the people running and don’t go into the voting booth (or mail-in ballot) blind. –Maria Helena Carey
Statement by Kate Robinson, ANC 6A06
My name is Kate Robinson and I am a candidate for Commissioner of ANC 6A06. As your Commissioner, I will help our local businesses thrive and work to make our neighborhood safer, cleaner and more inclusive.
Our single-member district needs a strong leader. I believe that I am the best candidate for ANC 6A06 because I am well-versed in the issues facing our neighborhood and with the many opportunities for improvements in the areas of public safety, transportation and the local economy. As a homeowner, I understand the critical role our ANC plays in our community and am invested in its success. As an attorney, I have years of experience advocating for individuals and businesses in matters involving D.C. government agencies, many with which ANC 6A frequently interacts, including DC’s DCRA, Office of Tax & Revenue, Office of Zoning, DDOT
and Office of Human Rights. I am also a dedicated public servant who has devoted a significant portion of my career to providing volunteer legal services for those in need, helping many individuals to navigate a variety of difficult employment, landlord-tenant and family law issues.
Leadership means listening to everyone. If we want to address the challenges facing our local community, our ANC needs leaders who are proactive, responsive and empathetic. That’s who I am and that’s how I’ll lead as Commissioner for ANC 6A06. I have the skills, values and drive needed to instigate positive changes in our district, and I would be honored to have your support.
Please visit katetrobinson.com for more information about my goals for our community. You can also find me on Facebook and Twitter @KateforANC. With your support, we can (among other things):
- Create a monthly newsletter for residents of ANC 6A and increase the number of neighborhood events such as food drives and block/alley clean-ups
- Expand the current grant/loan opportunities for local businesses and non-profits.
- Work with DDOT to establish a multi-block “Streatery” on H Street.
- Lobby the DC Council to expand existing rent control laws.
- Ensure that all vacant and blighted buildings are registered with DCRA.
- Works towards the timely completion of projects to improve public safety (e.g. the Maryland and Florida Avenue Streetscape Projects and the Slow Streets Initiative).
- Encourage neighborhood dispute resolution to resolve conflicts, including increased
- involvement with the Office of Neighborhood Safety and Engagement.