Hey parents! How are you enjoying your summer so far? Relaxing? Good. So, about those Kids Ride Free cards you had to get last year:
They will expire on October 1 of this year. But never fear: You get to stand in line and get a new one at one of several events around town happening this summer! NOPE! HOPE YOUR CARD MAKES IT HOME FROM SCHOOL HAHA. Don’t despair, though: Kids Ride Free (KRF) SmarTrip cards live up to their name year-round, every day of the week, and they are valid for all school age children and youth, ages 5-21, who live in the District of Columbia, whether they attend District of Columbia Public Schools, charter schools, private schools or are homeschooled. Thanks, Mayor Bowser! In order to obtain a KRF SmarTrip, you need several pieces of documentation: NEVER MIND! I went through the trouble of writing up this entire thing and it now appears that the only way to get a Kids Ride Free card is at your public or charter school. This is the only information you need, directly from the School Transit Subsidy Program website:
- New School Year 2019-2020 Kids Ride Free cards will be delivered directly to ALL D.C. public and charter schools for distribution starting August 26.
- Your student’s School Year 2018-2019 Kids Ride Free SmarTrip card (last year’s card) is valid until September 30, 2019.
- The new School Year 2019-2020 Kids Ride Free card will be provided to students by their school’s DC One Card Administrator before current cards expire on September 30.
- Students who have lost or misplaced their previously issued School Year 2018-2019 Kids Ride Free card can receive a replacement card at the Deanwood or Judiciary Square DC One Card Centers between August 12-23 by registering below.
- Students can also pick up a replacement card at their school starting on August 26.
So, good luck keeping track of those cards, parents!
or DCPS and DCPSB students: Bring your school year 2018-2019 card or your child’s DCOne card, or have your child’s student ID number ready.
For DCPS/DCPSB parents picking up for their kids: Bring your school year 2018-2019 card or your child’s DCOne card, or have your child’s student ID number ready. If you have no KRF card and actual child with you, bring proof of child in the form of a birth certificate as well as their DCOne card or other ID.
For private school and homeschool students and parents: Bring your DCOne card or other ID, as well as proof of District of Columbia residency and proof of school enrollment. Per the Kids Ride Free website, these are the events where you’ll be able to collect your SY 2019-2020 card.
|101 N St. NW||5||Saturday, July 27 |
|10am – 2pm|
|Ballou High |
|3401 4th St, SE||8||Wednesday, July 31 RSVP||3pm – 7pm|
|Eastern High School||1700 East Capitol St., NE||6||Saturday, August 3 RSVP||10am – 2pm|
|Wilson High |
|3950 Chesapeake St., NW||3||Wednesday, August 7 |
|3pm – 7pm|If you miss your window, you can always collect your card at a KRF/DCOne card center. The centers are as follows:
(Monday – Friday)
|9am – 5pm; 12pm-8pm Wednesdays||Deanwood Recreation Center |
1350 49th Street NE
(Monday – Friday)
|9am – 5pm||One Judiciary Square |
441 4th St NW
Got more questions? Go to kidsridefree.dc.gov and learn more.