Did you know that volunteering is not just a good way to help your community, but that it also has health benefits? A 2013 study from Psychology and Aging concluded that volunteering at least 200 hours in a year lowers your risk of hypertension! You can read a little more about how volunteering is good for you in this article from Harvard Medical School. But really, what is 200 hours between friends who are helping one another?
Enter our dear friends at the Hill Center, who would like you to find your perfect volunteering match/hypertension lowerer at this year’s Volunteer Capitol Hill. On Saturday, April 27, starting at 10 a.m., go to the Hill Center, 921 Pennsylvania Avenue SE, and learn about 30 different non-profit organizations –anything from community gardens to senior organizations, to a beloved Main Street! (Spoiler: It’s Eastern Market Main Street!)
Volunteer Capitol Hill honors the volunteering and community service legacy of Steve and Nicky Cymrot, whose example of community caring over the last 40 years helped make the Hill Center possible.
List of Participants:
- 13th Street Community Park & Garden
- A Wider Circle
- AARP DC
- AARP Driver Safety
- AARP Foundation Experience Corps DC Metro
- BEST Kids Mentoring Program
- Capitol Hill Community Foundation
- Capitol Hill Group Ministry
- Capitol Hill Restoration Society
- Capitol Hill Village
- College Bound
- Community of Hope
- DC Central Kitchen
- DC Republican Party
- DC Superior Court Mental Habilitation Volunteer Advocate Program
- DC Tutoring and Mentoring Initiative
- Eastern Market Main Street
- Everybody Wins DC
- For Love of Children
- Hill Center
- Kids Connection Haiti
- Little Lights Urban Ministries
- Live It. Learn It
- People. Animals. Love.
- Rotary Club of Capitol Hill
- Ruth Ann Overbeck History Project
- Seabury Resources for Aging, Ward 6
- Turning the Page
- Ward 6 Democrats
- Washington Urban Debate League
Volunteer Capitol Hill is sponsored by Capitol Hill Community Foundation, Hill Center, Hill Rag, National Capital Bank and Pettie-Tubbs-Edwards Team at Coldwell Banker Realty.
You can learn more by visiting HillCenterDC.org/hillcenter360.