This Sunday, October 20 is the annual Renovators House Tour from 12-5 p.m. on Capitol Hill. Now in its 19th year, this self-guided and self-paced community event is a chance to tour 13 beautiful, unique renovated homes on the Hill, all to support the Capitol Hill Cluster School. It’s a great chance to get ideas for your own renovation, get inspired, or just enjoy a great afternoon in our gorgeous neighborhood. If you value sustainability over size, and community over commuting, this is the house tour for you!
Highlights from this year’s tour include:
- A home that looks like a two-story row house from the front, but reveals over 3,000 square feet spread across four floors
- A family that loved their block but needed more space so after watching the renovations next door, decided to make it their next home!
- A homeowner who showed a previous home on the 2nd Annual Renovator’s House Tour and is excited to be back and sharing her latest project!
- A brand new build that strives to look as historic as its neighbors.
- And for the first time on the Tour, an apartment community where amenities abound.
The Tour Map will be published on the website just before the Tour and tour-goers are invited to begin their route at the home closest to them, where they will receive their official ticket and program book.
As you work your way through the beautiful residences, see if you can spot:
- A beautiful poplar mantelpiece with black walnut detail salvaged from a Massachusetts Avenue NW mansion 30 years ago.
- A “She-shed” adding a garage, storage, and home office space for an active family.
- Secret hiding nooks for children that maximize space (at least two!)
- IKEA hacks that make design more functional and affordable (there are more than one of these on this year’s Tour!)
Architects, designers, and builders who worked on the projects will be on hand to answer questions and provide additional details at several stops along the tour.
Proceeds benefit the Capitol Hill Cluster School, a DCPS school serving over 1100 students from Pre-K to 8th grade. The Capitol Hill Cluster School is one school with three campuses: Peabody Primary, Watkins Elementary, and Stuart Hobson Middle School. Contributions cover field trips, supplies, teacher appreciation events, professional development and school programming like FoodPrints.
Three Capitol Hill moms started the Tour in 2001 as a way to support their children’s neighborhood school and highlight the unique homes and architecture in their community and the event has become one of the “must attend” fall events on Capitol Hill. Two of these moms are still involved in the Tour— as sponsor and supporter The JLC Team Compass Team!
Advance tickets are on sale for $30 but The Hill is Home readers can receive the early bird ticket price of $25 by entering discount code EXTENDEARLY at checkout.
To learn more about the Tour visit renovatorstour.com
To buy your tickets go to renovatorstour.org/tickets
Hope to see you on the tour!
We are happy to support and be supported by the Capitol Hill Cluster School.
By Maria Helena Carey No Comments Views