The Hill is Home is sharing the statements of ANC candidates in our general region. Although the main focus of our blog is Capitol Hill –served by ANCs 6A through 6C– we feel that a community is made stronger by the neighbors with whom we share a close geographical area. We are honored to share candidate statements from neighbors from Ivy City to Navy Yard, with minor style edits. To all of you who are running: Thank you. –Maria Helena Carey and Kate McFadden
My name is Corey Holman and I live on 14th Street SE with my wife, Meg, son, Calvin, and dog, Maizey. When my wife and I bought our house, I never intended to run for ANC. After navigating the Planned Unit Development process with the New York Pizza development project, I realized how important it is for my neighbors to have responsive and effective representation on the ANC. When I was asked to join the Transportation Committee in 2016, I jumped at the opportunity. When ANC 6B06’s current commissioner, Nick Burger, informed me he wasn’t running for reelection, I decided to run in his place.
ANC 6B06 is a large single member district and will continue to grow in population over the next two years as our five major projects come online and new neighbors move into our great neighborhood. The SMD stretches from the corner of 12th and C Streets SE to the Sousa Bridge and to the 11th Street bridge. With a diverse set of needs, I hope to effectively serve the residents with the specific following focuses:
- Helping residents connect quickly and effectively with city agencies to resolve issues. To me, there is no more important issue for an ANC.
- Pushing DDOT to move forward with Southeast Boulevard and Barney Circle redesign, including removal of diesel bus support facilities in the bus garage to focus on electric only buses.
- Fighting against the expansion of the Capitol Hill Historic District east of 13th Street SE. At the same time, I will encourage, at every opportunity, legislation allowing the creation of conservation districts. If legislation makes this possible, I will help lead any effort to make the non-districted parts of ANC 6B to first neighborhood with this “historic district-lite” status.
- Pushing DDOT to move forward with study and design of protected bicycle/scooter lanes on Pennsylvania Ave SE from the Sousa Bridge to the Capitol.
- Ensuring impacts from #EStreetConstructionMania are mitigated as much as possible, especially as the Safeway project moves from excavation into building
- Prioritizing the safety of pedestrians, scooterists (?), and cyclists over the needs of automobile drivers and parkers. For example, I enthusiastically support the changes proposed for Kentucky/Potomac/15th/G that would remove parking and slow traffic to increase pedestrian safety and add bike connectivity.
If you have any questions, I can be reached any time at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-253-3596. I also am starting to document my ANC related activities at www.coreyholman.com and I have more thoughts there, including long responses to other ANC candidate questionnaires as well as thoughts on recent ANC 6B Transportation Committee items.