There’s a lot going on in the world of food these days on Capitol Hill (okay, the entire city but we have to focus here folks). Sometimes we here at The Hill Is Home can’t even keep up. There are a lot of First Bites to write, but there are also food and establishment updates on places we’ve already waxed poetic and prosaic about. So here’s are some little updates – snacks if you will – to whet your appetite for eating your way through the neighborhood. What’s up with food right now?
- The Pretzel Bakery is closed. FOR VACATION. Fear not Hill East residents, our favorite specialty bakery is taking a well-deserved two week vacation and will reopen on August 28. The owners hinted at new menu items when they return as well.
- Nando’s Peri-Peri had a soft opening on Monday over at Yards Park. The South African rotisserie chicken chain has taken the DC area by storm, with other successful locations including in Dupont Circle and Chinatown. Yet another option to enjoy on nights with free concerts at Yards Park, or after the free outdoor yoga classes on weekdays.
- Forest City Washington also announced the quick-service Spanish eatery 100 Montaditos will open soon in the Boilermaker Shops at Yards Park. The outfit offers miniature sandwiches with over 100 fillings to choose from, and will be a first for the DC area. 100 Montaditos has over 250 locations around the world.
- Belga Café just launched a new happy hour menu, served on weekdays from 4:00 to 7:00 p.m. Personal Belgian pizzas (I didn’t know that was a thing) and panko-crusted lamb ribs can be enjoyed at the bar with specially-priced cocktails and Belgian beers.
- Truckeroo returns to the Fairgrounds outside of Nationals Ballpark on Friday, August 16. Enjoy food from over 20 DC food trucks along with live music, cash bars, and plenty of lawn games. Truckeroo is open from 11:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- There are almost too many delicious events to list at Union Market in the coming weeks. So just check out their events page here. These include cheese tastings, book signings, coffee workshops and even a regular gospel brunch on Sundays.