We have offered to post brief statements from all of the ANC candidates running for seats on Capitol Hill and the surrounding neighborhoods that we cover here on The Hill is Home. These statements are not endorsements and have been posted exactly as submitted by the candidates.
On the way back recently from Opera in the Outfield, with our young family in tow and drifting off to sleep, my wife and I looked at one other and quietly reminded each other of how lucky we are to raise our family in such a unique place, surrounded by an embarrassment of opportunities and interesting, talented people (especially on our block!). Maybe there are other places with an equal amount to offer, but I am motivated and constantly delighted by Capitol Hill. I also know that with vision, dedication and shared effort, Capitol Hill can be even better. That is why I am seeking a final term as an ANC6B Commissioner – to entrench and expand upon gains made thus far while continuing to work for residents of the Single Member District.
Highlights of the past two years include:
- Prioritized and coordinated with DDOT for repair of all sidewalks in the Single Member District
- Resolved usage conflicts with the Eastern Market North Hall, ensuring the space is available for multi-purpose use throughout the day
- Advocated for and successfully brought to fruition the Weekday Farmer’s line at Eastern Market
- Improved relationships with MPD and raised public safety awareness through regular community walks, outreach activities and utilization of the Community Impact Statement process to aid in offender sentencing.
- Cracked down on nuisance properties by identifying and working with DCRA to register vacant and blighted properties in the SMD and across the ANC
- Provided integral support to the successful fight to fend off Ward 6 and ANC 6B redistricting
- Led successful efforts to increase resident participation in ANC6B Committees and Task Forces
- Advocated before Council for quality middle schools, full funding of school librarians and adequate resourcing for the Facility Improvement Program
- Fought for DC autonomy and voting rights — #8 of the DC 41.
- Worked with residents to co-negotiate the Hine development Memorandum of Agreement and Construction Management Agreement (CMA), cited by the Zoning Commission as the strongest CMA in the City.
But we have much more to do. In the next two years, together we will:
- Preserve Eastern Market for future generations by revitalizing efforts to implement sound financial practices and stabilize Market finances
- Strengthen relationships with MPD and improve public safety through reform of Chronic Offender laws and smarter employment of Community Impact Statements
- Track and hold the City accountable for improving Ward 6 middle schools
- Prod the City to live up to commitments to beautify Eastern Market Plaza
- Continue to fight all vacant and blighted properties in the Single Member District
- Complete the full restoration of Kim Brenegar Park at Independence & North Carolina Ave
- Implement a Bike Friendly Business District on Capitol Hill
- Improve civic engagement by gaining full voting rights for Resident Members
- Manage the construction of Hine to limit impacts on near neighbors and businesses (with special attention to Eastern Market).
- Support efforts to develop Reservation 13 according to the 2007 Master Plan
- Work together to ensure the City provides reliable services to all residents
For more on my vision, goals and objectives, please visit http://pate6b.org. Thank you in advance for your support.